The Project:

Since June 2008 I have been riding a Giant TCR Alliance. Over the years I have swapped out many parts, and the bike is becoming like George Washington's axe. New handle, new head but still the same axe. How long will a composite frame last, with the carbon-alloy joins? Since I have been happily replacing parts as they wear out, the obvious question is this: instead of buying a new bike assembled, how much would it cost to buy a new bike piece by piece? Only one way to find out...

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Having kicked the idea around for many months, I started the whole process by creating a list. Every piece of a bike that can be bought as a single unit. Hubs and rims separate, natch. Some decisions had to be made. Namely, Campy or not. I decided to stick with Shimano, principally because all my tools are for Shimano, and there is a certain degree of compatibility with other, 3rd-party manufacturers. With 105 as a baseline, I'm targeting Ultegra as an ideal, keeping in mind the trickle-down of technology, eg today's 105 is better than the Ultegra gear that was around four years ago.

The frame will be the last thing to deal with. There are many Asian factories producing carbon frames, but allow with carbon stays, post and forks could be an option. Your comments are invited... As a simple strategy, I figured I will work my way through the drivetrain, and then through brakes, shifters, wheels etc.

The first piece purchased was the bottom bracket:
Shimano Ultegra SL Hollowtech II SM-FC4601, for the princely sum of NZ$35.77 (US$28.45)
I bought this from the eBay seller Brinvo on April 21/2012.
Next on the list: crank.

No comments:

Post a Comment