The Project:

Since June 2008 I have been riding a Giant TCR Alliance. Over the years I have swapped out many parts, and the bike is becoming like George Washington's axe. New handle, new head but still the same axe. How long will a composite frame last, with the carbon-alloy joins? Since I have been happily replacing parts as they wear out, the obvious question is this: instead of buying a new bike assembled, how much would it cost to buy a new bike piece by piece? Only one way to find out...

Friday, May 11, 2012

Crank

Having started with the bottom bracket, the next piece is what gives the bb it's function.  Actually, gives the bike its function.  Without a crank the bike becomes a velocipede.Try going uphill without a crank...

And going uphill is possibly the most important consideration when choosing a crank.  But what crank?
There are many component manufacturers. Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo are the obvious giants, but there are also Truvativ, FSA, Ritchie and Raceface to name a few.  So it really comes down to a process of elimination.

Campy are out, as I have already decided on Shimano-compatible. I do not like square-taper cranks with external centre bolts.  I once had an old tri bike with a Shimano biorythm (?) elliptical chain ring, and without using loctite the centre bolt always came loose after 60 km.  After looking at the range of cranksets available, I end up returning to Shimano's Hollowtech system, which boils it all down to 105 or Ultegra.

Standard or compact?  I am currently riding a standard (53-39) 105 crank, which last year replaced the original (2007) 105 compact.  There is much out there offering tips, eg hills=compact, sprint=standard, but I go by actual ratios.  When deciding whether or not to change from compact to standard, I looked at the math.
The first two columns are my old compact combination with a 12-25 cassette.  The ratios range from 1.36 up to 4.17.  Replacing the crank only shifted the range upwards to 1.36-4.42.  I had a ride with some steep climbs, so I swapped out the old (worn) 105 cassette for a new Ultegra 11-28, giving a ratio range of 1.39-4.82.
Comparing this combination with the classic compact combo, the bottom ratio (39-28) is effectively the same as the 34-25, with a steeper top end (4.82) from the 53-11.  Simply, the 39-53 standard paired with a 11-28 cassette gives the same bottom end and a taller top end than the normal compact setup.

So, scouring the internet for a Shimano standard Hollowtech crankset, I found this: 

105 Double 5700 10-speed chainset, 175 mm crank, 39-53 chainrings.

The bargain came from Ribble Cycles in the UK:
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/

and cost me the princely sum of 
NZ$175.23  (US$137.23)

Pretty  much what I am currently using, but I have opted for the slightly longer crank, moving from 172.5 to 175.  I am a slow-twitch sort of guy and cannot spin very fast (100rpm is near my limit for any sustained period of time), so if I am to boost my power output need to boost the torque.  Physics time! For a force applied about a lever's fulcrum (centre of rotation for a crank), 
Torque = force x distance.  So, for the same force from my legs if I increase the radius I increase the torque (175 from 172.5 is a 1.4% increase).  And really, I'm not going to notice the extra radius in my stroke.

Next, I start finding a pair of pedals...


No comments:

Post a Comment